I arrive at the bar, some edgy, hip kind of place in an
abandoned corner off a street in Camden. She’s sitting there in a sophisticated
like manner one leg crossed over the other, like it’s a luncheon with the
Queen. Not typically expected from a Quirky Rock star that can’t identify day
from night “Life’s one big Party” she told NME last week. I guess the new
trends fashionably early now-a-days. She shakes my hand exposing rings of
wealth, power and fashion on each finger.
Her character already exposed without a word being said. She applies
some bright red lipstick before even making eye contact and then I get her
complete undivided attention.
Leyla Hills, thank you so much for you time today , I understand
with your new Album release , your life could be describes as chaotic at this
very moment in time?
She sniggers as if I couldn’t be more wrong; “Oh most
definitely not, I do what I want when I want, I’m in control of my life and to
be fair it’s pretty chilled. I make music and people appreciate it none of this
showbiz stuff complicating things.” She makes fame sound so easy like she was
born with it. Her eyes circulate the room, she knows everyone’s staring, but
she’s not fazed, her mind is clearly focussed elsewhere rather than me and my
questions. Her eyes draw attention to her white hair reflecting its poise on
the bar top.
I’m a massive fan of your
new album and the power of the lyrics really did shake the world, Illinois was
so unexpected, tell me more about that song, where do you get your inspiration?
I travelled the world, in a journey of self-discovery,
obviously had shit loads of booze and mad festivals and parties on the way, but
I’m only young. I can be grown up when I’m old, which isn’t for a very long
time. I just sing what pops into my head
really. Illinois stands for “warriors” in ancient Algonquin Indian. When I was
on my travels I came across a Mayan tribe in Australia. They helped me realise It’s
what I am, a warrior but people don’t understand different cultures and stuff
so it’s my job to shout out the importance to help my fans understand how
different things are on the other side of the world.” As she sips her Long
Island Ice tea her accumulation of bracelets act as evidence of her travels,
names of different festivals of the world gathered around her wrist. I’m also
into vintage at the moment, vintage movies, fashion, style and most of all
records. I love the beauty and purity of records that you just don’t get
nowa-days everyone’s too hip-hop, well fuck that. Her hand clenches and she
exposes her fire and drive for music in her body language.
I see, I also hear you’re surprising
the world with your new jewellery line?
Yeah I sure
am, there’s more to me than just a pretty face and a decent voice, I love jewellery,
the urban kind, all the new kids things and the piercings the old folk frown
upon. Designing Jewellery is one of many other talents that people don’t know
they just read these covers on grotty magazines and think they know it all, but
they should consider the fact they’re paying pennies, because it’s a pile of
crap. The real stories on me are priceless. She looks over my shoulder at the
clock at the back of the bar and this clarifies that I’m extremely lucky to
even be honoured with a few minutes of her time.
So what are your plans for
the future?
“Well every day is a new day; I don’t know where my feet
will take me so ill end up where I end up. I’d like to do a bit more travelling,
Thailand preferably. Then I got a few gigs round London tickets are on sale one
the 1st of June. Also I got my radio show on XFM every Tuesday at
7pm, catch me if you can. Anyway I don’t really rely on people to help me; it’s
just me and my guitar. Her eyes look into mine like music’s saved her.
No comments:
Post a Comment