“Leyla Hills, global sensation reveals all on her life and the aftermath effect of her debut album “Every Kingdom” as well as her busy schedule and the upcoming future”
I arrive at the bar, some edgy, hip kind of place, the only place Leyla could meet me, this is her world an abandoned corner off the streets of Camden. She’s sitting there in a sophisticated like manner one leg crossed over the other revealing her china doll tattoo. Not typically expected from a Quirky Rock star that can’t identify day from night “Life’s one big Party” Leyla told XFM radio last week. I guess the new trends fashionably early now-a-days. The crowned winner of NME Tour awards “Most successful upcoming Artist” shakes my hand exposing rings of wealth, power and fashion on each finger. Her character already exposed without a word being said. She applies some bright red lipstick before even making eye contact and then I get her complete undivided attention.
“Leyla Hills, thank you so much for you time today , I understand with your new Album release , your life could be describes as chaotic at this very moment in time?”
She sniggers as if I couldn’t be more wrong; “Oh most definitely not, I do what I want when I want, I’m in control of my life and to be fair it’s pretty chilled. I make music and people appreciate it none of this showbiz stuff complicating things.” She makes fame sound so easy like she was born with it. Her eyes circulate the room, she knows everyone’s staring, but she’s not fazed, her mind is clearly focussed elsewhere rather than me and my questions. Leyla’s eyes draw attention to her white hair reflecting its poise on the bar top.
“I’m a massive fan of your new album; “Every Kingdom” and the power of the lyrics really did shake the world, Illinois was so unexpected, tell me more about that song, where do you get your inspiration?”
I travelled the world, in a journey of self-discovery, obviously had shit loads of booze and mad festivals and parties on the way, but I’m only young. I can be grown up when I’m old, which isn’t for a very long time. I just sing what pops into my head really. Illinois stands for “warriors” in ancient Algonquin Indian. When I was on my travels I came across a Mayan tribe in Australia. They helped me realise It’s what I am, a warrior but people don’t understand different cultures and stuff so it’s my job to shout out the importance to help my fans understand how different things are on the other side of the world.” As she sips her Long Island Ice tea her accumulation of bracelets act as evidence of her travels, names of different festivals of the world gathered around her wrist. I’m also into vintage at the moment, vintage movies, fashion, style and most of all records. I love the beauty and purity of records that you just don’t get nowa-days everyone’s too hip-hop, well fuck that. Her hand clenches and she exposes her fire and drive for music in her body language.
“I see, I also hear you’re surprising the world with your new jewellery line?”
“Yeah I sure am, there’s more to me than just a pretty face and a decent voice, I love jewellery, the urban kind, all the new kids things and the piercings the old folk frown upon.” After her collaboration with The Killers last night you’d think that shed want a breather couple days to pout those red lips and enjoy the weather. “Designing Jewellery is one of many other talents that people don’t know they just read these covers on grotty magazines and think they know it all, but they should consider the fact they’re paying pennies, because it’s a pile of crap. The real stories on me are priceless.” It makes you wonder if her affair with former Bring Me To the Horizon star Olli Sykes counts as a real story. She looks over my shoulder at the clock at the back of the bar and this clarifies that I’m extremely lucky to even be honoured with a few minutes of her time.
“When will we catch you next?”
“Well every day is a new day; I don’t know where my feet will take me so ill end up where I end up. I’d like to do a bit more travelling, Thailand preferably. Then I got a few gigs around London, 02 Brixton, Hard Rock Café, Koko Bar, tickets are on sale one the 1st of July you can find them on my website; www.LeylaHillsOfficial.com . Also I got my radio show on radio 1 every Tuesday at 7pm, catch me if you can. Just remember I don’t really rely on people to help me; it’s just me and my guitar. Her eyes look into mine like music’s saved her.
No comments:
Post a Comment